Thursday, September 17, 2009

first three weeks

my life in jerusalem consists of class (7:30-6:15 everyday) and going to the supermarket across the street from yeshiva. on average i visit said store twice a day, party because i forget i need real food in my apartment but mostly because, when i go around lunchtime, the place is a zoo. i grab what i need for lunch and walk to the checkout line, where there isn't much of a line at all. i wait patiently, often listening to a t.i./weezy playlist, while pushy israelis argue with one another over who is next to cut me in line. i finally get to the checker who is sitting down and could care less about separating my groceries from those around me. i pay and quickly bag my peach, water, and edamame so the next customer's stuff doesn't intermingle with my carefully selected items.

israeli society is fascinating. of course i knew this before i arrived but it think being a part of the 'daily grind' has granted insight into my perspective. i walk to and from class and listen to the cab drivers honk at literally nothing. i am surrounded by jews of all religious denominations traveling to countless educational institutions. some might wonder where i am going, just as i do them. but, when it comes right down to it, we are each living in Jerusalem putting up with the same grocery store nonsense day in and day out. i like it here and even catch myself wondering what it would be like to live here with a real job under real israeli citizenship. i will never look israeli, nor will i act like one, but maybe living and working here is my future. the possibility is small because i have a job in la waiting for me, but it is always an option.

i am lucky to have such a fantastic place to rely upon when i need an escape from america or i insight into myself. i have traveled here seven times since i was 17 with a variety of agendas and experiences. i have hiked, prayed, partied, argued, learned, and cried here, but never have i seriously wondered how israel would influence my future. after a year i know i won't want to leave, but the question is whether i will make myself get on the plane. will i find it necessary to return to la to work and establish a career instead of living here. both would be great, but one might be greater.

of course it is a transition from boulder. i am living in the most fought over city in the world after spending four years in a bubble. i had the time of my life in college: i met my best friends, intellectually explored and questioned everything, and built the self confidence that gave me the strength to change. i deeply miss my best friends and my family, but i know the distance is a good thing. i need to grow and mature on my own without nordstrom/la luna/tri-delta impacting my decisions.

this year is going to be great, and once i find a permanent place to live i know i will feel more settled. we are coming upon the most important holidays of the jewish calendar and i am so excited to experience them in the place where it all began. shanah tovah and a happy new year to all i love. i think about the people in my life more now than ever and i wish you a healthy and prosperous 5770.

i refuse to do the cliche yom kippur apology on my blog because it is impersonal, but know that if i wronged you it is probably coming. also i hate when people say 'may you be sealed in the book of life' because hopefully you already are.

weezy f baby please say the baby, and dont forget to lick the people you love like lollipops.
-lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment